The Delta Plan is a comprehensive, long-term management plan for the Delta. Required by the 2009 Delta Reform Act, it creates new rules and recommendations to further the state’s coequal goals for the Delta: Improve statewide water supply reliability, and protect and restore a vibrant and healthy Delta ecosystem, all in a manner that preserves, protects and enhances the unique agricultural, cultural, and recreational characteristics of the Delta.
Developed through eights drafts, hundreds of hours of public meetings and thousands of public comments over two years, the Delta Plan is guided by the best available science and is founded on cooperation and coordination among federal, State and local agencies. The Delta Plan is enforceable through regulatory authority in the Delta Reform Act that requires state and local agencies to be consistent with the Delta Plan.
The Delta Plan was unanimously adopted by the Delta Stewardship Council on May 16, 2013. Subsequently its 14 regulatory policies were approved by the Office of Administrative Law and became effective with legally-enforceable regulations on September 1, 2013.
The Plan was amended on February 2016 to include refined performance measures, which were again amended in April 2018. A September 2016 amendment made permanent an exemption for single-year water transfers to be considered as covered actions. Also in April 2018, the Delta Plan was amended to revise Chapter 3 to include new text and recommendations for conveyance, storage and operations, and to revise Chapter 7 to include new text and policy for setting priorities for State investments in Delta levees.
For information about the amendment process, please click here.
Delta Plan (Last amended April 26, 2018)
- Delta Plan Cover Letter (398 KB)
- Table of Contents (2.15 MB)
- Executive Summary (1.85 MB)
- Chapter 1 - Introduction (7 MB)
- Chapter 2 - The Delta Plan (2.65 MB)
- Chapter 3 - A More Reliable Water Supply for California (2.52 MB) (Amended, April 2018)
- Chapter 4 - Protect, Restore, and Enhance the Delta Ecosystem (4.8 MB)
- Chapter 5 - Protect and Enhance the Unique Cultural, Recreational, Natural Resource, and Agricultural Values of the California Delta as an Evolving Place (6 MB)
- Chapter 6 - Improve Water Quality to Protect Human Health and the Environment (2.5 MB)
- Chapter 7 - Reduce Risk to People, Property, and State Interests in the Delta (2.16 MB) (Amended, April 2018)
- Chapter 8 - Funding Principles to Support the Coequal Goals (1.4 MB)
- Appendix A - The Delta Stewardship Council's Role Regarding Conveyance (159 KB)
- Appendix B - Regulatory Language and Appendices Submitted to Office of Administrative Law, August 2013 (18.2 MB)
- Appendix C - Adaptive Management and the Delta Plan (1.16 MB)
- Appendix D - Administrative Procedures Governing Appeals, Statutory Provisions Requiring Other Consistency Reviews, and Other Forms of Review or Evaluation by the Council (84.2 KB)
- Appendix E - Performance Measures for the Delta Plan (740 KB) (Amended, April 2018)
- Appendix F - Statutory Exemptions from Covered Actions (117 KB)
- Appendix G - Achieving Reduced Reliance on the Delta and Improved Regional Self-Reliance (263 KB)
- Appendix H - Key California Water Conservation and Management Laws (169 KB)
- Appendix I - Addressing Multiple Stressors and Multiple Goals in the Delta Plan (memorandum) (406 KB)
- Appendix J - Excerpt from Draft Ecosystem Restoration Program's Conservation Strategy for Stage 2 Implementation for the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Ecological Management Zone (DFG 2011): "Section III. Stressors; Non-native Invasive Species" (300 KB)
- Appendix K - Delta Dredged Sediment Long-Term Management Strategy (1.53 MB)
- Appendix L - State Flood Control Facilities within the Legal Boundary of the Delta (Map showing Central Valley Flood Protection Board Jurisdictions) (1.27 MB)
- Appendix M - Projected 5-year Budgets (Fiscal Years 2012-2017) for Delta Stewardship Council, Delta Protection Commission, and Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Conservancy (214 KB)
- Appendix N - Funding and Financing Options (222 KB)
- Glossary (769 KB) (Amended, April 2018)
Original Delta Plan (Adopted May 16, 2013)
The Redline Version of the Final Delta Plan and Previous Iterations of the Staff Drafts are available here:
Delta Plan Placemat Materials