Introduction to the Amendment Process:
Adopted by the Council in May 2013, the Delta Plan anticipated the need for periodic reviews and updates in response to changing circumstances and conditions in the Delta unrelated to the Water Code section 85300(c) requirement that the Council review the entire Delta Plan no less than once every five years. For information about the current five-year review, click here.
One update is now being considered for Chapter 4 (Protect, Restore, and Enhance the Delta Ecosystem)
When the Council approved the Delta Plan in 2013, it adopted policies and recommendations in Chapter 4 directing agencies to restore aquatic habitat and improve water quality while respecting local land uses and expanding opportunities for nature-based recreation and tourism. While that general direction holds true, much has changed in the past five years.
Through a public process lasting through early 2019, the Council will work with partner agencies, stakeholders, and the public to build upon, further refine, and amend Chapter 4 of the Delta Plan. Currently, the chapter includes regulations covering flow, introduction of nonnative invasive species, and criteria for priority restoration sites. To learn more, please click here.
The following amendments were adopted by the Council on April 26, 2018:
- The Executive Summary was amended to include amended language for Policies G P1(b)(2) and RR P1 described below.
Chapter 2, was amended to include the amended language for Policy G P1(b)(2), as well as non-substantive changes to the narrative on page 51 describing Policy G P1(b)(2). To implement the change to Policy G P1(b)(2), the Council will conduct a rulemaking under the Administrative Procedure Act to amend California Code of Regulations, title 23, section 5002 (b)(2).
- Chapter 3, A More Reliable Water Supply for California, was amended to include an updated section on Conveyance, Storage, and Operations. To learn more about the development of this amendment, click here.
- Chapter 7, Reduce Risk to People, Property, and State Interests in the Delta, was amended to include an updated section regarding the Delta Levees Investment Strategy, including amended language for Policy RR P1. To learn more about the development of this amendment, click here. To implement the change to Policy RR P1, the Council will conduct a rulemaking under the Administrative Procedure Act to amend California Code of Regulations, title 23, section 5012. This rulemaking will occur on a separate timeline from that for section 5002 (b)(2) described above.
- Appendix E, Performance Measures for the Delta Plan, was amended to include refined Performance Measures. To learn more about the development of this amendment, click here.
- Appendix O, Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program, was added to the Delta Plan as an appendix to the plan. The MMRP lists mitigation measures adopted and incorporated into the Delta Plan.
- The Glossary was amended to include three new terms included in the Delta Levees Investment Strategy. To implement these changes, the Council will conduct a rulemaking under the Administrative Procedure Act to amend California Code of Regulations, title 23, section 5001. This rulemaking will occur concurrently with submittal of proposed revisions to section 5012 described above.
To read the Program Environmental Impact Report (PEIR) that was prepared for these amendments, click here.
In addition, the Plan was first amended in February 2016 to include an initial set of refined performance measures, and in September 2016 the Plan was amended to exempt single-year water transfers from consideration as covered actions.
- For information about the 2016 performance measures amendment, click here.
- For information about the 2016 water transfer amendment, click here.